Greater Hume Shire
Explore the rich history of Greater Hume Shire, immerse yourself in the unique identity of each town and village. Visit our museums experiencing agricultural innovation in Henty, submerging yourself in submarine heritage at Holbrook or learn about our early Scottish and German pioneers in museums in Jindera, Culcairn, Holbrook and Wymah.
Get outdoors and explore the spectacular natural scenery of the region. Immerse yourself in the legend of Mad Dan Morgan, the infamous bushranger who terrorised the district in the 1860s. Morgan’s Lookout is a granite outcrop that offers amazing 360 ° views of the countryside, once the perfect hiding place for a bushranger to call home, today you can pack a picnic and simply enjoy the view.
Wander into Woomargama National Park where you can go bushwalking, four wheel driving or camping. Find your way to one of the lookouts within the park and snap a photo of the amazing views on offer. Enjoy boating, waterskiing, canoeing, camping or fishing along the mighty Murray River. For a more educational experience in the natural environment, explore Wirraminna Environmental Education Centre at Burrumbuttock. As you walk through the four hectares of woodland and natural wetlands enjoy the native plants and wildlife, or take lunch and use the free BBQ facilities.
Top 5 things to do in Greater Hume Shire
- Enjoy the views as you cross the mighty Murray River in your car on the Wymah Ferry.
- Submerge yourself on HMAS Otway explore the Submarine Museum in Holbrook.
- Explore pottery through the ages at the National Museum of Australian Pottery in Holbrook.
- Experience the Headlie Taylor Header Museum at Henty and learn how this invention revolutionised farming across the world.
- Step back in time and experience German pioneering heritage at the Jindera Pioneer Museum.